BEACON - Rethinking Public spaces through light
Organized by Commun
Share your design ideas and win a grand prize money up to 1,500USD!
PREMISE Today as a society, we are more than ever connected to the world. What’s even true is that the more hyper-connected we get as a society, we are constantly getting more disconnected. Thanks to all the enticing mobile apps and high-speed internet connections - we have almost bypassed the need of going out of our homes. And at the other end of the spectrum lies worse, people needing rehabs these days to get away from their devices. The less social we get, the more we give into these pseudo interactions that will take over all the remaining of our wake time.
The design challenge is to re-interpret a campfire at an urban level that has the ability to bring people together through fresher experiences of public space at night. The design questions for this challenge are as follows,
- How can our public spaces fight back, with more vibrant experiences in the night?
- Can there be new pockets of dialogue in a public place whether inactive/active?
- Can there be new safer forms of nightlife where people can exchange experiences/engage in performances?
- Can a light be used creatively to extract newer forms of experiences through these public spaces?
- Can there be public spaces - that have the ability to host a new nightlife at a town or a city level?
- Can these ideas add value to the space they inhabit in?
- Participants have to exclusively use light as a medium to solve/create/portray experiences. They can use architecture partly - but the existing place shall not be overwritten by built forms.