HILTI IT COMPETITION 2020
Organized by Hilti
All members of the winning team will receive airfare and accommodation at one of Hilti’s strategic IT locations: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Plano/Tulsa, United States or Buchs, Switzerland. The trip will be arranged based on the winning team’s home country. The team members will have the opportunity to learn about Hilti IT services and build their Hilti network.
The annual IT competition is organized to set up a platform for young talents with the opportunity to tackle some daunting challenges faced by the construction industry. Undergraduate and postgraduate students from all parts of the globe are encouraged to participate to not only display their innovative ideas but also pave a way to kick-start their careers.
Trusted and Low-Powered IoT Solutions for the Construction Industry
Hilti offers premium products and services for professionals on construction sites around the globe. To stay ahead, we extend our service portfolio and bring digital innovation to the construction sites. For this purpose, we are constantly accentuating the potential of innovative technologies and enabling the design of services around our products.
In the application of IoT technology in our product ecosystem, we see golden opportunities to enter a new era for customer value creation. The variety of affordances of IoT technologies provides us with unprecedent opportunities to achieve increased process efficiency. For instance, in our current offerings, e.g., ON!Track and Hilti Connect app, we mainly focus on the three affordances: asset tracking, tool identification and tool control.
However, there are several technological hurdles involved in the process of building a secure integrated IoT solution. You are given the opportunity to define new approaches to overcome these challenges and pave way for intelligent and efficient interaction for HILTI customers around the globe.
You may target your solutions or concepts in the following topics:
(1) Security and Data Authenticity in IoT Solutions – Effective solutions to ensure the users of IoT and the Internet itself are not exposed to potential harm. The solution must be robust with regards to security: superior to average internet or LAN connections possessing data authenticity to prevent IoT hack attacks
(2) Connectivity between IoT Devices – Disruptive solutions or concepts (distributed systems, edge computing, peer-to-peer communication models) that include innovative technologies ensuring efficient connection among various IoT devices, enabling reliable user experience regardless of the location and internet availability
(3) Compatibility and Longevity of IoT Solutions – The lack of standardized protocols and diversities in firmware and operating systems among IoT devices results in compatibility issues. Some of these technologies will eventually become obsolete in the next few years. The solution should address the fact that IoT appliances will remain in service for longer period and ensure that they function even if their manufacturer goes out of service
(4) Information Privacy in IoT Solutions – Concepts or solutions to address the users’ privacy concerns as well as legal and regulatory challenges on a global scale
Additionally, ensure that your ideas address one or more of the following challenges that are often observed in the construction industry:
- Usage of tools without continuous power supply
- Limited computing power and memory on edge devices
- Multiple users of the same device
- Limited mobile connectivity on the construction site
- Variety of personas from construction site to back office with varying educational background that requires an attractive, hassle-free IoT solution offering across all levels