Published on February 12, 2021
Working out from home
Have you been working out during this pandemic? I'm one of those who suddenly get this urge to work out, but it only lasts for two weeks. I start every morning with some stretching and meditating, putting a lot of training gear on my Asos wishlist, and drink lots of water. But when I start to put all this pressure on myself, I stop. And I repeat this like every other month. Some people would say it's lousy discipline, but I'm just going to call it very advanced interval training.
It's possible to stay in shape during this pandemic. The winning recipe is not to complicate things even if you have a small space, zero equipment, and very little time. A very remarkable thing is bodyweight workouts!
If you have a couple of minutes to spare, move around some stuff in your apartment to start your workout. I prefer to watch a youtube video when I'm not feeling so inventive myself. I'm going to link some videos below.
But first, here are some exercises! If you want to add extra weights to your workout, grab a plant or a heavy book!
- Stand with your feet about shoulder-width apart and slightly turned out with your weight in your heels.
- Hinge your hips to sit your butt back and bend your knees until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Drive through your heels to stand back up straight. Squeeze your butt and keep your core tight as you stand.
- Start standing with your feet about shoulder-width apart.
- Step backward with your left foot, landing on the ball of your foot and bending your knees to create two 90-degree angles.
- Push through your right heel to return to standing.
- Repeat on the other side.
Lateral Leg Raises
- Lie on your side, legs extended.
- Lift your top leg 45 degrees, then lower slowly.
- Do 5 lifts with your toe flexed, 5 with your toe pointed, and 5 with your toe pointed toward the ceiling.
- Repeat on the other side.
Marching Glute Bridge
- Lie faceup on your mat with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Lift your hips off the mat into a bridge.
- Keeping your right knee bent, lift your right foot off the floor. Try to keep your hips still.
- Hold for five seconds. Slowly lower your right foot to the ground but keep your hips lifted.
- Lift your left foot off the ground to repeat on the other side.
Spider-Man Mountain Climbers
- Start in a high plank.
- Drive your right knee out and up toward your right tricep. As you do, turn your head to watch your knee meet your arm.
- Alternate sides as fast as you can while still maintaining a sturdy plank and keeping your torso in place.
Here are two great youtube channels when it comes to working out from home:
Good luck, I'm rooting for you!
Written by Antonella Basagni
Subscribe to our newsletter and get inspiring competitions directly to your inbox: https://studentcompetitions.com/newsletters